Wednesday, April 20, 2016

April 5, 2016 - First visit to West Cancer Center


So after clearing it with my ENT, I still went to St. Louis that weekend to help launch our newly incorporated cardio class at Pure Barre called, Pure Barre Platform. I was also able to tell the horrible news to my entire team in person - which meant a lot to me. I dreaded it deeply, but was glad the timing worked out that I was able to do so. My ENT told me I could go, but to make arrangements to return to Memphis as soon as I get word of an appointment at West. So I came back Monday afternoon. My husband and I met with our oncologist, Dr. Arnel Pallera, at West Tuesday, April 5.

He told me this type of cancer is usually in much older people, meaning 60s! and it is usually found in males. He told me that he thinks I've had it for several years. I have noticed over the last 2-3 years my sinus infections have become more frequent and harder to fight off. I also opened 2 businesses 300 miles away 8 months apart, so getting sick more frequently did not give anyone any red flags. I was worn down naturally. I was also raising a very busy little boy at home as well so I was always just trying to keep up. But he thinks the repeat, more frequent infections were/are because my WBC's are being replaced by cancer cells.

He told me I needed another CT to include my abdomen and hips, and a bone marrow biopsy.

So Friday, April 8 I had both done. The bone marrow biopsy - wow. I hope to never do that again. It was quite a painful recovery. Nothing like a large man putting his entire weight on your body with a screw gun into your backside hip bone. gahhh.

Our next appointment would not be until Monday, April 18 to go over the results and treatment plan.



No comments:

Post a Comment